16 Words And Phrases We Want To Retire In 2010
It’s the end of the year and we’re sweeping out our closet—and that includes annoying words and phrases that we’re just so over. After the jump, we give you the ten most headache-inducing words of 2010. Let’s not bring them into the new year, shall we? And tell us
what words you never want to hear again in the comments!
- Vajazzle: Vajazzling is both a repulsive idea and a repulsive term for a repulsive idea. No, your vagina does not need Swarovski crystals on it. And frankly, I’d be worried about any guy who prefers your vagina diamond-encrusted.
- Vajayjay: Ditto on Vajayjay—If you are referring to your vagina as a va-jay-jay, you aren’t worthy of your vagina.
- Friend: Not as in “you are my friend.” Friend, as in: “Did you friend me on Facebook yet?”
- Hai: I love a LOLCAT as much as the next girl, but please stop typing the word “Hai” when you really mean “hello.” It’s not cute and it perpetuates bad spelling.
- “I’m a Carrie”: Grown-ass women do not need to be comparing themselves to any “Sex and the City” character. Especially after seeing this year’s “SATC” movie sequel.
- It is What It Is: We’ve been trying to clear this one out for a long time now. Do y’all understand that saying “it is what it is” is the verbal equivalent of a dirty hippie guy playing hackysack while listening to Phish in your bathroom while you’re trying to take a shower?
- Synergy/Synergize: A nebulous business world term that’s become mainstreamed. No, we don’t want to synergize that content—I’m too busy watching “Golden Girls.”
- Retarded: This one is self-explanatory.
- Amazeballs: Equally annoying: Crazeballs, No more balls, guys.
- Sexytimes: It’s sex, boning, doing it or banging. But sexytimes? No.
- Fashionista and anything” ista”: Fashionista. Stylista. Whateverista. I’m Boredista. Let’s Stop Thisista.
- Girl Boner: It conjures really terrible images of engorged clitorises. Please don’t do that to us.
- Abbreviations like Obvi, Obvs, Totes, etc: We’re not totally opposed to these, but WHEN DOES IT STOP?
- That’s what she said: Saying “that’s what she said” is the quickest way to ensure that no girl will ever say anything to you again.
- I die: Rachel Zoe burned this phrase into our heads—and now we wish it would die.
- OMG: OMG, OMG is totally over. OMG! No, no, no. Let’s start expressing genuine emotion again.