Retailers have put time and money into studying how we shop, and here are seven discoveries they don’t want us to know about:
1. Displays are designed the way they are on purpose - to tempt you.
2. Buy one, get one’s are not always a good deal - check the clearance area first to find a similar item on sale.
3. When you enter the store - don’t turn right. Store owners know we naturally head in that direction and put their newest most expensive items to our right in the store.
4. Clearance racks are purposely put in the back so we have to walk past all the more expensive items first.
5. They leave the clearance area messy on purpose - they want it to be a difficult experience for shoppers so they’ll spend less time there.
6. The small stuff by the register? If it seems tempting, that’s because it’s meant to be. Those small accessories encourage last minute impulse buying while you’re waiting to pay.
7. Shopping with a friend encourages over spending.