OK Finally I'm getting the chance to blog about my Oprah Show experience and YES It was AMAZING!
But let me first start out by saying..............
WE DID NOT GET ANYTHING FOR FREE....NO CAR, NO HOUSE, NO $, No COLLEGE EDUCATION NOTHING! That was the first question I was asked by many!! haha
Ok here we go...
THE DAY OF SHOW:
I was lucky enough to get 2ND ROW out of 13,000 or so people. That is nuts. I have never been that close in a big arena for anything. So getting the chance to be that close for a once in a lifetime Oprah Show was incredible.
We first got there at 4:45ish and doors were supposed to open at 5PM but in the media business and like many other businesses things are NEVER on time! You can imagine 13,000ish people waiting outside at the United Center in Chicago. It was nuts.
TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC and People EVERYWHERE!
There were even some people who didn't have tickets begging for the chance to get through the doors. I felt bad because some women even came from New York just for a chance to see Oprah Winfrey but she didn't have any tickets. (a little crazy to come all that way...I wouldn't do that or maybe I would)
We even saw a post on Craigslist that someone was willing to pay $1,000 per ticket and LUNA bars for a year?! hahah Ummm...No thanks! I mean $1,000 is tempting when you don't make a lot of money but nothing would have gotten me to sell my ticket. Well unless the price was right and $1,000 was NOT enough. Especially knowing that I was going to be in section 1.
INSIDE UNITED CENTER:
When we got inside they said NO BATHROOM BREAKS, NO FOOD OR WATER during taping. There will be no breaks. WHAT!! That was my only issue. We were dancing, singing and jumping around and we could have no water. I was soooo thristy, we were there from 5pm to about a little before midnight. So it was a long and exciting night.
Once we got in we could take pictures, video and do whatever but once taping started that wasn't allowed. Yet people were doing it anyways after about a 1/2 hour into taping. So then I started in the second part of the show...SHHHH But i didn't bring a good camera cause we didn't think we could.
I couldn't believe the excitment in the crowd. We were in the 2nd row on the left side of the stage. It was incredible.
Then we waited for the taping to begin. Some lady that is in charged of getting the audience pumped talked (what felt like forever) to buy time before the show started. Basically she told us certian things that we (all 13,000) had to do at certain parts of the show. She then introduced some of the celebrities that were invited to the show but watched from the audience.
This part was a little strange....
They invited celebrities to be seated in certain sections throughout the arena...and most of them didn't have great seats. For example Emmitt Smith was in the section to the left of me about 30 rows back. He looked uncomfortable! I mean he was in the center of section for 6 hours unable to move. All I could see was his big diamonds!!
Other celebrities that were in the audience were:
- The Mayor of Chicago and his family (Mayor)
- Dr. Oz (TV show host)
- Dr. Laura Berman (Sex Expert also on OWN)
- Lisa Ling (Interviewer and show on OWN)
- Dr. Phil (TV show host)
- Carson Pressley (Fashion Designer)
- Nate Burkus (HOTTTTT)
- Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's Wife and author)
LET THE TAPING BEGIN:
Finally it was time for Oprah Winfrey to come out. This was a surprise show for Oprah she didn't know anything about the show. The only thing that she knew was that she was having a show at the United Center but she didn't know who or what was stopping by. Boy was she in for a big surprise!!
When she first walked out I was instantly in awe! I couldn't believe that I was actually at The Final Farewell Oprah Shows! I mean the crowd was all there for Oprah and you could feel the love. It was incredible.
Then the tears started falling. I was just so happy and living in the moment trying to take in everything that I could. I didn't want to forget anything. (I can't wait for the shows to air so I can truely remember it).
After she talked to the audience (which she didn't talk enough) out walked Tom Hanks!!! I love Tom Hanks and he is just as awesome and funny on tv/movies as he is in real life.
Celebrites Who Performed or Thanked Oprah:
- Will Smith (Host of 2nd Episode May 24)
- Tom Hanks (Host of 1st Episode May 23)
- Tom Cruise (Thanks Oprah)
- Katie Holmes (Thanks Oprah w/Halle Berry and Queen Latifah)
- Halle Berry (Thanks Oprah w/Queen Latifah and Katie Holmes)
- Queen Latifah (Thanks Oprah with Katie Holmes and Halle Berry)
- Beyonce (Performed her new single "Women Rule the World")
- Usher (Performed 'Oh Happy Day' in second episode)
- Jamie Foxx (Sang w/Stevie Wonder)
- Stevie Wonder (performed song for Oprah in 1st episode)
- Aretha Franklin (Performed in 2nd episode)
- Dr. Oz (Danced/sang w/Rosie O'Donnell in 2nd Episode)
- Diane Sawyer (Thanked Oprah w/a weird tree seqment)
- Jerry Seinfeld (Hilarious Stand Up)
- Dr. Phil (Danced/sang with Rosie O'Donnell in second episode)
- Nate Burkes (Danced/Sang with Rosie O'Donnell in second episode)
- Jada Pinkette Smith (Thanked Oprah w/her husband Will Smith)
- Josh Groban (Sang "Some where over the rainbow')
- Alicia Keys (Played piano while Maya Angelou read a poem)
- Gayle King (Oprah's Best Friend)
- Stedman Graham (Oprah's Boyfriend)
- Madonna (Thanked Oprah with an Amazing speech)
- Michael Jordan (Thanked Oprah in 1st episode)
- Rascal Flatts (Final performance in the 2nd to last show)
- Dakota Fanning (Thanked Oprah with children that Oprah has helped over the years)
- Tyler Perry (Thanked Oprah in second episode)
- Dr. Maya Angelou (Read poem about Oprah)
- Maria Shriver (Thanked Oprah with Gayle King)
- Simon Cowell (Thanked Oprah but stuttered must have been pretty nervous)
Those are the many celebrites that helped make the surprise spectacular special and special it was. It was an amazing experience and I couldn't have been more glad to be a part of it.
I can't wait to see the show on TV. I can relive one of the best nights of my life. (yah a little sad but it was)
Favorite Parts of the Evening:
- When Oprah walked out for the first time. It was almost surreal.
- Stedman's speech. I have never heard Stedman (OPrah's boyfriend) talk so it was an exciting moment.
- Gayle King, she was has funny as she is on TV. She reminds me of myself. :)
- Beyonce performance was insane. That girl can dance!
- Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin two legends that I never thought I would see live.
Parts that I Disliked: (yes can you believe it...there were some parts that I disliked)
- No bathroom break for 6 hours
- No water or food for 6 hours
Otherthan that...it was amazing!
Now don't forget to set your DVR for Monday and Tuesday for The Oprah Winfrey Surprise Spectacular.
I was in the 2nd row. If you are facing the stage I was on the left. If you are on the stage looking into the crowd I was on the right. (is that stage right??)