Ted Thompson needs to get on the phone and sign Danny Bateman STAT! Because to say that the Packers are suspect on defense two games into the preseason is an understatement. Like I understand it's the preseason, we're not 100% healthy blah blah blah, but after both the Steeler and Cardinals games last season these first two efforts in 2010 have been less than impressive. I feel like we're going to keep saying 'it's ONLY the preseason, it's ONLY week one, it's ONLY week 5, when is spring training?' Unless we're luring every other team into a false sense of security and then once the regular season hits we're going to dominate? Friggin McCarthy, playing chess the entire time.
- The good news about our defense playing poorly is that our offense is making people look SILLY. I'm talking '99 Rams good. Los Angeles Raiders on Tecmo Super Bowl good. Rodgers is on point, Finley's a beast, our receivers go 4 deep, and our running backs.....and Rodgers is on point.
- Safe to say we need a plan 'B' in the return game? How sad is it that Sam Shields fumbled again and that was an improvement from last week. Bottom line is Shields looks like me with women: lost. He might be good at some point, but a team with legit Super Bowl aspirations can't have an undrafted rookie free agent who is allergic to the football returning kicks.
- Good thing we cut Jon Ryan huh? The last thing this team needs is a punter who averages over 50 yards a kick and sticks it inside the 5 like a javilon. No thanks.
- Can we put Justin Harrell, Manny Parra, and Michael Redd all on a train out of town? Talk about a hat trick of overpaid, underperforming professionals. Like if you had to pick only one to bounce off of a team which one would you pick? I've got a better shot of picking one type of cake to eat for the rest of my life than answering that.
- Speaking of Justin Harrell, for those that were still up in the 4th quarter Rich Gannon uttered these words: 'I think Justin Harrell is going to be an impact player this year for the Packers.' Credibility=shot. At least he didn't call him an ath-a-lete. Look, I understand as a broadcaster/journalist sometimes you can accidently say some crazy things. I once wrote an entire article explaining how the 2002 Brewers were playoff bound. We all make mistakes. But the Harrell comment might be a finable FCC offense.
- If Zombo doesn't make this team I'll just die. I don't even know the kid's first name. He's 'Zombo, Zombo' in my book. Just seems like the kind of dude you want on your squad. Not to mention every time he makes a play you can scream ZOOOMMMMBOOOOOO. You show me someone who doesn't enjoy that and I show you a liar.
So two weeks in and our offense is still awesome and our defense and special teams are un-awesome. At least we're getting shredded by perennial offensive powerhouses like the Browns and Seahawks. We're sure to get things going in the right direction against Peyton Manning on Thursday.