Preach Carl! Preach! Honestly this may as well have been me by the end of that game yesterday. Like I throw the term 'category 5 train wreck' a lot, but THIS friends was a category 5 train wreck. In fact I don't think I've ever been more disappointed after ANY kind of game in my life. And I'm a Bucks fan. I watched Glenn Robinson lead a team coached by Chris Ford. So to say I've seen some debacles would be an understatement. Between that and the Brewers from 1993-2005 I've got like a PHD in sports depression. The truly sad thing about it is that this should have been the day to post the Denny Green 'they are who we thought they were' video after the Bears got thrashed by the Pats yesterday. But there's just no way we can talk trash after losing to the Lions. So instead I had to go with Carl Winslow. Wait....is there a possibility Carl Winslow IS Denny Green? Play this video back to back with the 'they are who we thought they were video' and I don't see much difference. See folks? Strange Brew isn't just about psychotic sports ramblings, it's about getting to the bottom of mid 90's TV dad/moderately successful NFL coach doppleganger conspiracies.
- Tim Masthay gets the game ball. Like how many times can that sentence be typed legitimately? Also it's a good indication of how the rest of the game went.
- When Matt Flynn got into this game he looked like me holding a baby. Horrified. At the end of the day you can hardly pin this one on him. Packers should have been up by AT LEAST two touchdowns by the time he got in, but his pick inside the 10 yard line was deadly. The offense was anemic with or without him though. I just learned the word anemic.
- If I'm Cullen Jenkins agent I am starting contract negotiations at 9am today for an extension. If there was any doubt he anchors that line yesterday dispelled it. Stefan Logan, Maurice Morris, and Drew Stanton averaging over 5 yards per carry=Jenkins making bank.
- Think there will be a sliding drill for the QBs on Tuesday? Like who was getting in that game if Flynn went down? McCarthy was one injury away from having to crank up the Detmer Signal. Ty or Koy.
- Dave Rayner. I know he didn't have much of an impact on the game but I just had to type his name. Even if this blog goes on for 50 years I would have bet the mortgage I'd never have the opportunity to type "Dave Rayner" even once.
- Trying to explain the playcalling at the end of this game is like trying to explain how King of Queens made it to syndication. Some things will always remain a mystery. And it's not so much the 4th and 1 call that bugs me at the end, but CONSISTENTLY going deep on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1. Like I don't think I've ever punted in Madden, but even I know to mix in a 'HB Dive' once in a while. I mean I like Mike Sherman as much as the next guy but I don't want to relive his playcallling.
So there you have it. A Packer loss in Detoit. Just the sentence itself looks grammatically incorrect. And I know grammatically incorrect. It was an unofficial minor of mine in college. The cherry on top is that Rodgers has a concussion and since it's his second this year my guess is he at least misses Sunday at New England. Also no matter whoever is under center next weekend can we please go back to the retro jerseys? We wore them once. We won. Everyone knows you keep wearing them until you lose. Everyone. Come on Mike! We're trying to run a society here!
PS: Whoever invented the Smart Car was a Family Matters fan plain and simple. The only difference between that car and Urkel's is that it opens on the side and not the front. You can't fool me Smart Car. You sit on a throne of lies/poorly written sitcom.
Double PS: This just vaulted to the top of my Christmas list: