+ + =
Kind of a tough morning in Packerland huh? First came the revelation yesterday that the Seahawks acquired Marshawn Lynch for the low low price of a 4th round draft pick. Then came the news that the Vikings are acquiring Randy Moss for the low low price of a 3rd round draft pick. And then the cherry on top of a cake that even I wouldn't eat/probably would still eat is the cover of SI featuring Charles Woosdon who will inevitably get injured forcing us to start BOTH Charlie Peprah and Jarret Bush in the same secondary. Which as all led to me being all sorts of sad as you can see by the picture Eddie took of me when I came in for work this morning. And in case you were wondering yes I have been working out. Watch out for the guns! They'll getcha!
Seriously though instead of jumping off the deep end and calling out Ted Thompson, calling out Ted Thompson some more blah blah blah, let's do what every sensible adult does in tough situations: Make a pros and cons list.
- While Marshawn Lynch would have been nice I don't think he is the difference between a Lombardi trophy or not. Just saying the sentence "we need Marshawn Lynch will lead us to a Super Bowl" seems grammatically incorrect. And if there's one person who knows grammatically incorrect it's me. And while people will harp on the fact that it ONLY cost a 4th rounder, let's not forget guys like Jared Allen, Brandon Marshall, and Asante Samuel all came in the 4th round. Granted John Kuhn is not the ideal back, he has shown signs of improvment lately. And let's not forget the last backup fullback converted to a running back in Green Bay:
- Brett Favre and Randy Moss could be one of the best QB/WR tandems in the NFL.....in 2002. Favre looks old, Moss looks whiny/old. While it is an upgrade for the Vikes let's not blow it out of proportion.
- Moss wants a new contract and plays lazy when he doesn't have one. No this is not a repeat from 1998. Or 2002. Or 2006.
- At some point the Packers have to transition from 'building' to 'contending.' They took steps last season by making the playoffs. This year we thought they'd make the next leap, and if my Madden 2011 franchise is any indication we should win the Super Bowl for the next 6 years in a row. I understand saving picks but there has to be a point where you cast your lot. Whatever that means.
- The NFC North is back to a three team race. At first we thought it would be Pack/Vikings. Then early in the year it looked more like Pack/Bears. Now it's Pack/Bears/Vikings. The more we beat up on each other the further dreams of home field advantage drift.
- If I have to watch Moss moon the crowd at Lambeau on Oct 24th I may will actually lose it.
So definitely a weird week so far. A good week if you're the company making these:
PS: I thought this Moss thing was a joke at first but then I saw Jay Glazer was reporting it. Dude could tell me the sun isn't going to rise tomorrow and I'd believe him.