Tell me I wasn't the only one reliving this when Vick came out to start the second half? Like playoff post traumatic stress visions of KGB flailing after Vick in that game came flooding back into my brain when I saw Vick evading our defense line and streaking down the sideline. To say he treated us like dogs in that loss would be an understatement. No pun intended/totally intended. So let's just say the Packers themselves and Packer's fans can be happy the Pack escaped with a victory in a tough environment in week 1 and look forward to a bye week against the Bills in week 2.
- I'll grant you that I'm the type of fan that will press the panic button fairly quickly when it comes to NFL football. There just aren't enough games to lolly gag through any weeks. And with that said, yes, I was chanting Bul-a-ga! 4 minutes into that game. Because just like last season, the Packer's line looked like a stone wall in the preseason and then once the games count they turn into a.....not....stone wall. Analogy fail. It did get better in the 2nd half, but Clifton and Tauscher were getting ABUSED in the 1st half. The remedy? A healthy dose of Buffalo Bills. Pretty sure the they're are starting CJ Spiller at tackle at this point.
- The Packers special teams outplayed the Eagles special teams.
- Seriously raise your hand if you thought the Packer's special teams were going to be a strength this season. Like I had the Packer's special teams bullet point written already on Saturday, win or lose, about how we put the special in special teams blah blah blah. But 24 hours later, Mason Crosby is nailing 76 yard field goals, Jordy Nelson is the next Don Beebe, and Tim Masthay is doing what a what a piece of chalk could do: not be Jeremy Kapinos. And while Tramon Williams is no Desmond Howard at least he didn't fumble the football or put the offense in a field position hole.
- As a side note when Crosby hit from 56 and they said it broke a record held by three players how many people guessed Dave Rayner would be one of those names? Like he held a record in Packers team history. So that gentle sob you heard when the kick went through was Mr. Rayner as he has now been completely erased from the memory of Packer's fans.
- Clay Matthews might be the best defensive player in the NFL. And while I try to keep these recaps free of homerism*, that my friends is a legit fact. No training camp? No preseason? Whateves. How's 7 tackles, 2 sacks, a forced fumble and the game saving stop on 4th and 1 treat you?
- Justin Harrell out for the year. Yawn.
- Charles Woodson gets a contract extension and then sleep walks through the game. Typical athlete. I mean, 5 tackles, a forced fumble and near pick? That's it? Come on dude you're better than that! Act like a professional for once.
So one game in the books and the Pack sit with a 1-0 record. And Rodgers didn't even play that well. You've got to love that guy though, listening to his post game comments he sounded like a guy that lost the game. I'm sure he'll look to rebound with a HUGE game this Sunday. Be afraid Bills secondary. Be afraid. And if people think I'm going to trash talk the Eagles they are outside of their minds. Those fans are ruthless. Like every time Fox panned the crowd after a big Packers play the fans in green and gold were basically golf clapping/cheering the Eagles. It's preservation of life when you step into the Linc.
*I'm not a homer like Fox News is fair and balanced.