A mother shouldn't have to worry about the worst when she delivers, but unfortunately, delivering a child can be deadly. That being said, I never thought a baby's fingernail could be the cause of a death.
After delivering five-week premature twins, 32 year old Angela Cottam almost died after what doctors suspect was a fingernail or hair from one of the babies passed into her bloodstream during the delivery.
The incredibly rare occurrence (which affects only one in 80,000 births) is potentially fatal. Cottam suffered internal bleeding and collapsed lungs. She lost seven pints of blood, needed 22 transfusions, and was in a coma for 12 hours. Her family was told to prepare for the worst.
In the end, Cottam, a teacher, recoverd.
"I feel so lucky to be here and really blessed that both the girls are with us because it could have been so different," said Cottam. "There are moments when I've been on my own, and I've had a little cry and thought 'What if?' But I try not to dwell on that and just thank my lucky stars the doctors and midwives on duty that day recognized what was happening."
I tend to take for granted the uncomplicated births of my children. What a reminder how miraculous every safe birth is.