FOND DU LAC, WI (WTAQ) - Fire officials say a discarded cigarette is the reason behind a fire that damaged a Fond du Lac apartment building.
Fire crews get the call to 544 Van Dyne Road just after 1:15 p.m. Friday.
Upon arrival, firefighters found flames on the exterior of the two-story building. The fire was put out, but it damaged the siding and building materials underneath. The building's maintenance workers also helped with fire extinguishers.
Firefighters say the fire began in landscape mulch along the building, where a cigarette had been thrown away.