On Air Now


Listen Live Now » 93.7 FM Sheboygan, WI


Current Conditions(Sheboygan,WI 53081)

More Weather »
68° Feels Like: 68°
Wind: NE 9 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip


Mostly Clear 50°


Partly Cloudy 57°

Thurs Night

Clear 50°


Armed standoff in Stanley ends with no injuries Thursday


STANLEY, WI (WSAU) -  A five-hour standoff between law enforcement and an armed Stanley man ended Thursday night with no injuries.

That’s according to Stanley Police Chief Russell Kollmansberger.  "The subject in the house reported to have the gun is in the Chippewa County Jail, safe and sound."

Kollmansberger said the incident started as a domestic dispute inside a house near 2nd Avenue and Franklin Street at 2:40 p.m.  "There was an initial report of a domestic incident between a boyfriend and girlfriend at the residence where a gunshot was reported to have been fired in the residence, and the female subject had left the residence with that firearm.  Then we responded and surrounded the house and maintained the perimeter.”

Stanley was assisted by several agencies including police from Cadott and Thorp, Chippewa County Sheriff’s deputies, and even traffic control from local firefighters... but Kollmansberger said SWAT teams took the 23-year-old man into custody at 7:40 p.m.  "Two SWAT teams had to actually enter the residence, both the combined Chippewa County Emergency Response Team and the Eau Claire County SWAT Team had to enter the residence to get him out."

The 21-year-old female was not injured in the incident. Even though she escaped with the suspect’s weapon, officers knew the man may have had other weapons in the house.

Kollmansberger is withholding the suspect’s name until he’s charged. The man may make an initial appearance in Chippewa County court Friday.

This is the initial press release from the Stanley Police Department at 6:50 p.m. Thursday, about an hour before the suspect was taken into custody.  


The following is the initial press release issued by Chief Russell L. Kollmansberger about an hour before the subject was taken into custody:

Media Release 2/21/13

Possibly Armed Subject Barricaded in Own Residence, Surrounded by Law Enforcement

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 at approximately 2:40 PM, officers responded to a residence in the City of Stanley on Second Avenue for a report of a subject with a gun inside a residence. Initial reports were received of a domestic incident that had taken place in the residence and the female subject was able to escape. The male subject that was reported to have a gun is presently in his own residence. That residence is currently surrounded by law enforcement officers and there is no immediate danger to the community. Residences neighboring this house were asked to evacuate for safety. We are not sure if there are still weapons inside the residence so we are using every precaution to keep law enforcement and the community safe.

The situation is currently stable and there is no immediate danger to the community, however, it is still a very dynamic situation we are working to address quickly and safely.

We are working with several law enforcement agencies to bring this situation to a speedy and safe end. The Stanley Fire Department is helping provide traffic control. All traffic in the area is being re-routed around the scene.


Russell L. Kollmansberger, Chief of PoliceCity of Stanley Police Department