SHEBOYGAN, WI (WHBL) - Senator Joe Leibham is happy to have the Highway 23 expressway project back on an earlier completion schedule.
In an interview with WHBL News, he said he and other local state legislators contacted the DOT after a report last month showed the project would resume in 2018; three years later that what was promised during the budget debate earlier this year. DOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb wrote to Leibham Wednesday saying the project will resume in 2015 with a completion date no later than 2018.
Leibham said expanding the highway to four lanes between Sheboygan and Fond du Lac will have a positive economic impact, along with improving safety on that stretch of roadway.
There is still a lawsuit against the project that needs to be resolved by the Federal Highway Administration, but that is expected by early next year.