MADISON, WI (WTAQ) - Governor Scott Walker says the John Doe probe into his and other recall elections is over -- even though prosecutors and the presiding judge have not declared an end to it yet.
The Republican Walker told Fox News Friday morning that the investigation has "been resolved" by two judges, who made individual decisions that went his way during the course of the probe.
State reserve judge Gregory Peterson squashed subpoenas late last year against potential targets, saying he found no probable cause of wrongdoing.
Last month, Federal Judge Rudolph Randa at least temporarily halted the probe. He said the Wisconsin Club for Growth had its free speech rights violated by being ordered by prosecutors to remain silent during this active election year.
According to court records released Thursday, prosecutors said Walker and two Republican operatives broke election laws by coordinating campaigns and fundraising, using candidates and a dozen outside conservative groups.
On the "Fox and Friends" show, Walker declared "No charges, case over." A federal appeals court in Chicago is still considering a request by prosecutors to get the investigation going again.
Walker says it's all a "prime example of what happens when you take on the big government interests," referring to his Act 10 law that virtually eliminated collective bargaining by most public unions.
Walker -- a potential GOP presidential candidate in 2016 -- also said he'd have to rely on "a lot of grassroots support" to win his tight re-election battle this fall against Democrat Mary Burke.
(Story courtesy of Wheeler News Service)